Lidl to replace DSW at Queens Place Mall

Slated to open early 2024

Residents of Elmhurst and its surrounding neighborhoods will no longer have to trek to Astoria to visit a Lidl location.

The well-loved grocery store will soon open up a brand new location inside the basement of Queens Place Mall, replacing DSW—whose lease will expire this August.

The location is conveniently accessible via the Q58 and Q60 buses, as well as the M and R trains.

Madison International Realty announced that the store signed a long term lease, and is estimated to open in the first quarter of 2024.

Local Queens leaders were pleased with the news that Lidl would become closer to home for many residents, and praised the benefits that the development has to offer to the community.

“On behalf of the oldest and largest business association in Queens, it is my pleasure to congratulate Madison International Realty on adding this globally-recognized company to their tenant roster, and Lidl on opening a second location in the ‘World’s Borough,’” Tom Grech, president and CEO of the Queens Chamber of Commerce said.

“This supermarket will seek to create quality job opportunities and provide an affordable place to buy groceries for residents of Elmhurst and the surrounding neighborhoods. We look forward to celebrating the opening in 2024 and shopping at the Queens Place Mall Lidl for years to come.”

Lidl has been celebrated for its shopping experience by prominent publications in the past, including Food & Wine Magazine and USA Today Readers’ Choice Awards.

The company offers a leading wages and benefits package, including healthcare for all full and part-time employees, regardless of number of hours worked per week.

“Lidl is well-known for its good-paying jobs, affordable prices, and its diverse, healthy, and high-quality food offerings, so we are very excited that the company will be opening a second store here in Queens,” Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. said. “Lidl’s Astoria location has been a big hit with shoppers, and we are looking forward to the same kind of success as the company branches into Elmhurst in service of central Queens families.”

Based in Arlington, Virginia, Lidl operates more than 170 stores on the East Coast, with 25 in New York state.
Queens Place is part of a 2.5 million-square-foot, 15-property New York City retail portfolio that Madison acquired from Forest City Realty Trust. The real estate private equity firm acquired a 49 percent stake in Queens Place in 2011 and purchased the remaining 51 percent in 2018.

Construction for the new Lidl location is estimated to begin by the end of this year.

Share Today

Stay Connected

Latest News

Our Newsletter

    Fill the Form for Events, Advertisement or Business Listing