St. John’s women’s soccer off to a fast 2-0 start
Aug 28, 2013 | 4646 views | 0 0 comments | 126 126 recommendations | email to a friend | print
St. John’s women’s soccer made it a 2-0 weekend as first-year forward Rachel Daly nets a hat trick against the Fordham Rams in a 5-0 victory on Sunday afternoon at Belson Stadium.

Daly scored all three goals in the first 21 minute of action. Rookie keeper Diana Poulin recorded her second-straight victory in goal.

Senior forward Amy Marron and senior defender Rachel Hoffman each recorded two assists on the afternoon, both on Daly’s goals. Senior defender Hailey Hemmer recorded the fourth goal of the afternoon; while the fifth was scored as an own goal by the Fordham defense after a St. John’s corner kick.

The last time St. John’s defeated a team by a five-goal margin was against LIU on Sept. 2, 2001 at home. The Red Storm defeated the Blackbirds by the same score, 5-0.

“We were proud that we were able to keep the level of intensity up throughout the course of the game for the full 90 minutes,” said head coach Ian Stone, two wins into his 20th season as head coach of the Red Storm.

Daly wasted no time getting the Red Storm up 1-0, as she scored in the fourth minute of play. Hoffman brought the ball up the right side of the field before booting it up to Marron who received the ball with her chest and dumped it through to Daly past Fordham defender Nicole Bates. On the run with no Fordham defenders in her way, Daly received the ball 10 yards in front of the goal, drew the keeper just out enough to send the ball to the left corner of the net.

The British import scored again six minutes later. Daly got control of the ball at the top of the 18-yard box after a 25-yard pass through from Hoffman.

Once again ahead of Bates, Daly centered the ball on the 6-yard line, beat out Fordham’s Jessica Widmann, who came in to help her keeper. With both Widmann and Ram keeper Ally White recovering on the right side of the goal, Daly was free to knock it in with her left foot just under the cross bar on the left side.

In the 21st minute, Daly completed her hat trick, minutes after having to come off the field for a minor knee injury.

Marron, who was credited with the assist, kicked the ball through to Daly on a slide. Once again, Daly received the ball at the top of the box and showed the crowd she was up to full strength as she beat the keeper with another left-footed goal to the opposite side.

Hemmer, who played the full 90 minutes at defense, scored the fourth goal for St. John’s in the 26th minute, taking advantage of a rebound off the cross bar in front of Fordham’s goal.

Sophomore Chelsey Martino, who had subbed in three minutes earlier, took the initial shot, angling the ball from the left side. Her shot banged of the cross bar and went right to Hemmer’s waiting foot, who redirected it back at the net to the far corner with her right foot.

The fifth goal for St. John’s was scored off a corner kick by senior Morgan Ritter who was able to angle the ball just right in front of Fordham’s goal. In the scuffle, the ball went off the foot of one of Fordham’s defenders, which sent the ball quickly into the net. Martino was in the goal to give it the extra kick, but the ball had already crossed the goal line.

St. John’s next game will be on the road. The Red Storm travels to University of Massachusetts on Thursday, Aug. 29 for a 4 p.m. match against the Minutewomen.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet