Dozens of people have died in northern Kenya in a week of fierce clashes between rival ethnic groups, aid sources and reports said on Saturday. The unrest, centred around the town of Moyale in Marsabit county on the frontier with Ethiopia, has seen villages burned down and many families forced to flee over the border. According to the Standard newspaper, at least 27 people have been killed and thousands more displaced over the past week. Kenyan peace and anti-tribalism campaigner Jaffer Isaak said he believed the toll was somewhere between 70 and 120 dead, while an independent international aid source, who asked not to be identified, said "many dozens" had been killed.
By Emmanuel Braun BANGUI (Reuters) - The Central Africa Republic's shaky interim authorities on Saturday ordered all forces except foreign peacekeepers and the presidential guard off the streets of Bangui, where gunfire has eased but attacks on civilians have continued. A senior U.N. aid official said French and African peacekeepers must push into neighborhoods where "senseless" Muslim-Christian killings are rife, not just control the main roads of the capital. Clashes resumed in Bossangoa, about 300 km (190 miles) north of Bangui, a day after an African peacekeeper was killed there, a witness there said. The order for gunmen to return to barracks in Bangui, read on national radio, came as France dispatched 1,200 troops to the country, where at least 300 people have died in two days of violence in which rival militias clashed and then wholescale killings between Muslims and Christians began.