Receive Breaking News updates as they occur
Costa do Sauipe (Brazil) (AFP) - Sao Paulo will host the opening match of the World Cup in June, despite a fatal accident meaning the venue will only be ready two months before kick-off, world governing body FIFA said on Thursday. "We have received information it should be ready in mid-April," FIFA president Sepp Blatter told reporters at Friday's draw venue in Costa do Sauipe, north-eastern Brazil. The Arena Corinthians stadium was the scene last week of an accident which killed two construction workers after a crane bearing a final piece of roofing fell onto the stands, bringing down a section. The fatal accident was the third to occur at World Cup venues in Brazil, which is racing against the clock to get 12 venues ready for an event that starts June 12.