Receive Breaking News updates as they occur
By Nidal al-Mughrabi and Dan Williams GAZA/JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Hamas claimed responsibility on Saturday for a deadly Gaza Strip ambush in which an Israeli army officer may have been captured, but said the incident likely preceded and therefore had not violated a U.S.- and U.N.-sponsored truce. The statement by Hamas's armed wing, the Qassam Brigades, appeared aimed at preempting any intensification of Israel's 25-day-old Gaza offensive as well as deflecting international blame for the collapse of Friday's ceasefire. Israel says Palestinian gunmen stormed out of a tunnel to ambush its infantrymen in southern Rafah a 9.30 a.m., one and a half hours after the halt to hostilities came into effect, killing two and hauling away an army lieutenant, Hadar Goldin. Hamas said that if Goldin had been captured he may have been killed in Israeli hostilities that followed the raid.