St. John’s women top first-round tourney opponent
Nov 01, 2016 | 9847 views | 0 0 comments | 324 324 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Behind goals from Miranda Haraughty and Christina Bellero, the St. John’s women’s soccer team came away with its fourth-straight win, as the Johnnies turned back Providence, 2-1, at Belson Stadium on Friday night.

Haraughty, who earned her first start of the season as head coach Ian Stone looked to spark some early offense, found the back of the net for the first time this season.

After Providence tied it less than 10 minutes into the second half, Bellero cleaned up a loose ball in the box midway through the second half to put the Johnnies ahead for good.

In the first half, both teams looked to pressure the ball on defense and try for a counter attack. In the 15th minute, Anna Maria Baldursdottir stopped a Providence attack and sent a long ball down the left side to Shea Connors.

Connors then beat her defender and sent a perfect ball into the box that Haraughty corralled and sent into the back of the net, beating a diving Kristyn Shea to the left.

“Miranda has been getting better and better and she’s a great finisher,” Stone said. “I think she did a great job on the left hand side. It was a great ball in, but Miranda’s first touch and composure were phenomenal.”

Just seconds after coming on as a sub in the 72nd minute, Bellero netted the game winner. After the ball was played into the box, Lucy Whipp battled a Providence defender, who knocked the ball away from Whipp. Bellero was in the perfect spot and sent a rocket of a shot off the bottom of the crossbar and in for the go-ahead tally.

“That goal has been coming for weeks now,” Stone said about Bellero’s goal. “She deserved it after being a little unlucky lately. That was a phenomenal finish, which we needed at that stage of the game.”

The Red Storm (10-3-5, 5-2-2) was scheduled to be back in action on Tuesday, when it hosts the first round of the Big East Championship against the same Providence Friars at 7 p.m.

Men fall in OT

After 91 minutes of back-and-forth action failed to yield a goal, DePaul’s Stijn van der Slot found the back of the net to give the Blue Demons a 1-0 overtime victory at Belson Stadium on Saturday.

“That was a disappointing result against a tough DePaul team,” said head coach Dave Masur. “Three games in seven days with a bunch of injuries hurt a little bit, especially with Simon [Tchoukriel] and Wilhelm [Nilsson] both going down tonight.

“It’s very disappointing, but at the same time we’ve got to learn from it,” he added.

With the loss, the Red Storm fell to 6-6-4 on the season with a 2-4-2 mark in Big East play, while DePaul improved to 9-6-2 with a 4-4 record in conference action. The defeat, coupled with a win by Georgetown over Villanova, eliminates the Red Storm from Big East Tournament contention.

Andrew Withers recorded a season-high seven saves on the evening and registered his third-straight game with at least six stops.

With just 1:42 gone in the first extra period, the Blue Demons ended the contest with their second golden goal in as many games. Van der Slot corralled a pass from Sasa Labovic inside the box with his back to the goal before turning and firing one past Withers for the game-winner.

The Red Storm has one game remaining on its schedule, a Thursday night match with Providence at 7 p.m. on November 3. The contest will serve as the team’s Senior Night, honoring the careers and legacies of Tchoukriel, Antoine Le Gall, Eric Mirkov, Josh Dillon and Filip Kula.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet