St. John’s has big night, finds back of net 5 times
Sep 06, 2016 | 9543 views | 0 0 comments | 292 292 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Looking to tie the second-longest unbeaten streak to start a season in program history on Sunday night against Fairfield, the St. John’s Red Storm put forth its best offensive performance in over three years, registering a 5-1 win over the Stags at Belson Stadium.

“We worked really hard this week because we were frustrated with the couple of results last weekend where we dominated possession but we could not get the ball in the back of the net,” said head coach Ian Stone. “Getting two in on Friday and then getting five in at home tonight is fantastic.”

Five different players found the back of the net for the Red Storm (4-0-2). It was the first goal of the year for all five. Ten different members of the Red Storm have now found the back of the net this season, one more than did for the entirely of the 2015 campaign.

Shea Connors and Morgan Tinari led the way for the Johnnies, tallying a goal and an assist each. It was the first goal for each upperclassman since the 2014 season.

Alexa Dolgos and Maria Gonzalez Bullon recorded the first goals of their St. John’s careers against the Stags (1-5-0), while Lucy Whipp, a 2015 Big East All-Freshman selection, found the back of the net for the first time in 2016.

Diana Poulin recorded 74 minutes of shutout action before being replaced by Sarah Chaides in the second half. Poulin, the Red Storm’s all-time wins leader with 36, now has a goals against average of just 0.16 on the season.

St. John’s will to return to action on Friday afternoon, traveling to the West Coast for the Nike Portland Invitational. The Johnnies will take on perennial Pac-12 power Washington on Friday before playing Portland on Sunday.

Men fall to tough Syracuse squad

Facing off against one of the top teams in the nation, the St. John’s Red Storm saw No. 6 Syracuse score two late goals to come away with a 3-2 double overtime victory on Sunday night at SU Soccer Stadium.

Alistair Johnston and Harry Cooksley registered goals for St. John’s, the second-straight game in which the Red Storm rookies each recorded a tally. Cooksley also picked up an assist on Johnston’s goal.

Trailing 2-1 with less than 10 minutes to play, Syracuse tied the game at two apiece in the 82nd minute, scoring off a corner kick. After neutralizing the Orange attack through the first 14 minutes of extra time, St. John’s surrendered the game winner in the 105th minute.

The young Johnnies squad, which started four freshmen, five sophomores and a junior college transfer, put forth a valiant effort against a veteran Syracuse team that advanced to the 2015 College Cup. The Red Storm hung tough despite being outshot, 15-9, and earning only two corner kicks to the Orange’s 11.

St. John’s returns to action on Thursday night, traveling to Princeton for a 7 p.m. match with the Tigers.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet