City unveils $12.7 million anti-gun violence initiative
by Andrew Shilling
Aug 20, 2014 | 434 views | 0 0 comments | 1 1 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Gun violence in NYC has been on a steady decline in the last year, dropping by a reported 8.4 percent – from 1,457 to 1,335 shooting incidents - this year alone.

In light of the steady decline, Mayor Bill de Blasio and Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito announced the expansion of the city’s recent efforts to reduce gun violence with the creation of the Gun Violence Crisis Management System.

The roughly $12.7 million plan hopes to stop shootings before they occur through the use of community interventions, anti-violence messaging and support services in areas with high rates of gun violence.

“While New York remains the safest big city in the nation and crime has continued to drop citywide, gun violence remains a challenge,” de Blasio said. “With this initiative, we are creating a focused effort incorporating mental health services, legal services, after-school programs into our effort to reduce gun violence and create a safer New York.”

Mark-Viverito said roughly 10 “at-risk” neighborhoods would be targeted for new programming as part of the initiative.

“By focusing on the communities with the highest levels of shootings and working with those at-risk for committing violence, the [program] will be able to prevent shootings before they happen and help save lives,” she said.

Far Rockaway Councilman Donovan Richards thanked the mayor and city officials for committing nearly $6 million to neighborhoods in his district.

“The anti-gun violence initiative will be instrumental in reducing crime, not only in my district, but also in nine other resource-starved communities in New York City,” Richards said.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet