“Our borough’s community board members are a diverse and talented group of people who reflect the makeup of Queens, the most diverse county in the United States,” Katz said. “We truly are ‘The World’s Borough,’ so it is great that we have a community board membership that reflects our borough’s incredible array of cultures and perspectives.”
At a ceremony at the New York Hall of Science announcing the new appointments, 265 current community board members were also sworn in to new two-year terms. Katz also honored 60 individuals for their contributions to local politics, issuing Lifetime Acheivement Awards to Bernard Haber of Community Board 11, Joseph DiMartino of Community Board 4 and Sylvia Hack of Community Board 9
Community boards play a key role in local politics in their advisory role on zoning and land use issues. The boards are also involved in discussions surrounding the city budget and municipal service delivery.
All board members are non-salaried and are appointed by the borough president, with half of appointees being nominated by City Council members.
“I want to thank all of our newly appointed community board members for volunteering their valuable time to help serve their communities,” Katz said. “I am thrilled to see that Queens has so many civic-minded residents who are willing to help make our neighborhoods, our borough and our city the best places they can be.”
New appointments by board are:
• CB1: Amy Hau, Mackenzi Farquer, Nancy Konipol, Yawne Robinson and Nancy Silverman
• CB2: Dana Frankel, Jordan Levine, Charles J. Markey, Jr. and Rebecca A. Trent
• CB3: Ladisla Perez
• CB4 : Monzur Chowdhury, Erica Cruz, Eduardo F. Medrano-Salas, John C. Peters, Jr., Pasang Tsering, Rosa Wong, Shwe Zin
• CB 5: Henry Cross
• CB6: Yaniv Meirov, Jarett Monterio and Marsha Silverstein
• CB7: Devon Michael O’Connor, Matthew Silverstein, Clarissa Wong and Jie Zhu
• CB8: Mohammed Fakrul Islam, Bright Dae-Jung Limm, Jennifer Martin, Shlomo Nisanov and Mohammed Tohin
•CB9: Cheryl Alexander, Kamal Bhuiyan, Laraine Fletcher and Jarnail Singh
• CB10: Mohammad Iqbal Ali
• CB11: Sila Asa, Lawrence T. Gresser, Jr.
• CB12: Mabel Everett, Joan E. Flowers, Rodney Pride, Kamal F. Saleem, Bryan D. White and Tiffany Victoria Williams
• CB13: Terrance A. Banks, Alain Berrouet, Jacqueline Campbell, Terryl Ebony DeMendonca, Vernal Holder and Matthew Thomas
• CB14: Silaka Cox, Ahmad Edwards, Sonia Moise, Edward Pastore, Sr. and Christopher Tedesco